Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What conservatism means to me

As I look back I can see that I've led a pretty conservative lifestyle. Born of depression era parents I developed a strong work ethic. One where good ethics were as important as good earnings. I learned to live within my means and pay my debts. I've always driven second hand cars because I felt it more important to stow away a little cash for that inevitable rainy day. And there have been a few of those along the way. I was an avid practitioner of "Reduce, Reuse and Recycle" long before it became trendy. I never wore loud ties or a ponytail. I felt my government owed me protection from criminals, good roads to drive on and successful execution of our nation's wars when needed. Nothing else. That's my definition of conservative.

I was a fan of J.F.K. ("Ask not what your country can do for you..."), but soured on L.B.J. I voted for Nixon because he was Republican, but he brought shame to the party. I was pretty apolitical until Regan came along. He described political conservatism in a way I could understand and identify with. I was proud of my life and my country once again.

Today the Department of Homeland Security released a warning of right wing extremists that may be planning terrorist activity. Here's the link. It describes these extremist as opposed to gun control. I own a shot gun for bird hunting and a small caliber rifle for vermin and I aim to keep them by golly. Right wingers "are stockpiling weapons and ammunition in anticipation of restrictions and bans in some parts of the country." That reminds me to pick up a few more boxes of shells before it becomes any more of a hassle. These extremists are upset about illegal immigration. Non-taxpayers loading up our school classrooms and hospital emergency rooms. Darn straight I'm upset. It seems these right wingers fear or "anticipate a cataclysmic economic collapse of the United States". Hmm. A recent advisory by the state of Missouri told law enforcement to take special note of cars bearing Ron Paul bumper stickers as well as those of other third party candidates or political movements. Didn't mention moveon.org though. I wasn't a Ron Paul supporter though I liked some of his ideas. I think it's strange how the media pretty much sidelined his campaign. We keep our pantry well stocked with food due to the harsh winters around here. Another warning sign.

I might be just a harmless old curmudgeon, but it seems I've turned into a right wing extremist almost over night. Now I'm starting to get nervous. Some citizens are organizing a tax protest "Tea Party" rally in the city tomorrow (April 15). If I go will I be further branded as one of the usual suspects?

It has been said that Americans won't lose their freedoms by a revolution or armed invasion. Instead we will give them up freely one at a time. Looking around I think we're well on our way down that slippery slope already. And I don't like it much.

Damn it I'm going to that rally tomorrow. Maybe DHS will even take my picture for their files. My freedom of speech won't die with a whimper.

No comments:

Post a Comment