Saturday, April 25, 2009

Global Warming?

Oops, I guess climate change is the politically correct term these days. Whatever you want to call it the thermometer hit 88 this afternoon. That's a record for this date in our neck of the woods. I know one day doesn't confirm true climate change, but it give us old codgers something to talk about while sitting in the shade nursing an iced tea.

This morning I cranked up the chain saw and cleaned up some dead wood left over from last winter's ice storm and before. It made a nice addition to the wood pile. This fall we'll spend an evening or two by the fire pit while it turns to ashes. A radio turn to some soft music and a companion for a little quiet conversation. You remember conversation. It was that past time we had before tv and the internet. By noon it was getting too hot to attack any more outdoor chores.

So I escaped to the basement. I'm a computer hobbyist and somewhat of a packrat. The accumulation of cast off computers is starting to get out of hand. Next Saturday is hazardous waste disposal day at the town garage. You know, that day when we all load our old televisions, computers, cell phones, microwave ovens, old cans of paint and used motor oil into the back of the car and spend 45 minutes creeping along with a line of neighbors bent on doing their part to save the planet. It's hard to fight the urge to walk up and down the waiting line to see what goodies others might be throwing out. A few things that I might find useful some day. But no, I must focus on the task at hand. Stern orders on the home front to clear out some of that (maybe useful some day) junk. Sigh.

Good bye to a couple of Dell Pentium IIIs and a Digital PII sans hard drives and memory chips of course. Also several dead mother boards and power supplies. I'm still saving a few cases that will accomodate standard ATX or micro ATX mohter boards that can be found frequently at bargain prices. It's always nice too have an extra computer or two in the wings in case one of those that I'm using dies. I use the Debian Linux operating system on most of mine. I only resort to Windows when I don't have a choice. I'll leave further discussion of my passion for Linux for another day.

Now to load up the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment